Get ready for the most delicious and simple fudgy brownie recipe you’ve ever had. These fudgy brownies are made with 7 ingredients and in less than an hour!
Truly the BEST Fudgy Brownies
Yes, we have our signature healthy brownies on Fit Foodie Finds, but we’ve been itching to create the real deal. Indulgence is the key to health, people 😛
These fudgy brownies from scratch have been tested again and again and we’re so excited we finally nailed the recipe.
- Ooey-gooey delicious
- Made with 7 ingredients
- Ready in 40 minutes
- Extra fudgy
- NOT cakey!
What You Need for Homemade Fudgy Brownies
No store-bought brownie batter necessary! These fudgy brownies from scratch calls for just 7 ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- large eggs
- chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- white whole wheat flour
Fat: We tested this recipe swapping the butter for coconut oil and while this totally works, you’re definitely going to taste a coconut flavor. If you do want to make this swap, up the coconut oil to 3/4 cup.
Sugar: if you want to try and swap the brown sugar for another sugar, give coconut sugar a try. We haven’t personally tried this, but for most of our other baked goods, this seems to be a 1:1 swap.
Flour: If you can’t find white whole wheat flour, try either all-purpose flour or a gluten-free all-purpose flour. We didn’t test either of these, but these are what we would chose! Whatever you do, don’t sub the flour for coconut flour or almond flour. Please and thanks.
Top Tips for Super Fudgy Brownies
What makes brownies fudgy?
What makes a brownie fudgy is actually the flour to fat ratio. You want to make sure that you use more fat than flour to prevent it from being cakey. Removing the leavening agent also helps make brownies fudgier.
What is better fudgy or cake brownies?
Fudgy brownies are 100% better, but that’s just our opinion 😀
What does cocoa powder do in brownies?
Cocoa powder helps intensify the chocolate flavor in brownies. Don’t skip it!
Is it better to use butter or oil for brownies?
We prefer butter ten fold over oil because the taste of butter is just so much more pleasant in brownies.
Let brownies cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place for up to 5 days.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (or 3/4 cup melted coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- optional topping: coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350º and spray an 8×8-inch aluminum cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the cocoa powder and the white whole wheat together and set aside.
- Next, add melted butter and brown sugar to a large bowl and mix together on medium/low with a hand held mixer or stand mixer ( using an electric mixer is important).
- In a separate small bowl, add 3/4 cup of chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave on high for 15 second intervals, stirring and repeating until the chocolate chips are melted. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture and mix on low with a mixer until the eggs are combined.
- Add melted chocolate chips and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Slowly add the flour and cocoa powder to the bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix on slow until combined.
- Finally, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie batter into the greased 8×8-inch baking pan and place in the oven.
- Bake the brownies for 22-25* minutes at 350ºF.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies sit for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Slice and top with optional coarse sea salt.
- Bake time varies based on oven and remembers that these are fudgy brownies, so you want them gooey in the middle! Be careful not to over bake.
- We strongly recommend using an electric hand mixer to get out all of the lumps.
- Make sure to use a metal baking dish NOT a ceramic baking dish.
Serving Size: 1
Author: Category: DessertMethod: OvenCuisine: American
Keywords: Fudgy Brownies